Monday 26 June 2017

Carry On Classics: Carry On Constable

 

Last week I brought you some classic clips from the Carry Ons in an attempt to lighten the mood following some rather grim recent events in the wider world. I blogged some of my favourite scenes from the likes of Matron, Loving and Abroad. Well I so enjoyed going through the archives online that I thought I'd do it for another week, this time casting my net a little wider.

Many of you seem to really like the charm and innocence of the early black and white, Norman Hudis scripted Carry Ons. They are not shown as often as some of the later Rothwell films but I think they deserve as much praise for what they achieved. There is a real heart to those early pictures and they are both beautifully written and played by our regular cast of comedy misfits. Today I'm starting off with one of the most infamous sequences from one of the early Carry Ons.

Carry On Constable, the fourth film to be made featured the start of a regular team of actors, most notably Kenneths Williams and Connor, Charles Hawtrey, Joan Sims and Hattie Jacques. Constable is probably most notable for the first appearance of an actor who many consider to be the leading light of the series, one Mr Sidney James. This clip features some of the highlights from the film, as presented in the 1977 feature, That's Carry On. It's most famous sequence is that shower scene which saw the first glimpses of nudity in a Carry On in the form of the rear ends of those silly constables Williams, Hawtrey, Connor and Leslie Phillips! Enjoy:




More coming up tomorrow!

Carry On!

You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan on Facebook and on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment