Monday 23 January 2017

Vincent Ball Carries On

 

Some of you may remember the name Vincent Ball. The tall, handsome Australia-born actor appeared in two Carry Ons in the 1960s. In early 1962 he played Jenkins in Carry On Cruising, engaging in a highly energetic gym sequence with the lovely Dilys Laye. Five years later he was back at Pinewood to play the Ships Officer in Follow That Camel, this time acting opposite Angela Douglas. 

Well at the grand old age of 93, Vincent, who returned to his native Australia in the 1970s, is still acting. I came across a great article about him online in the Australian Daily Telegraph and it turns out that Ball was awarded the Order of Australia in 2016 for his services to the performing arts. With a career dating back to 1949, RADA trained Vincent's most recent acting role was in the Australian soap opera Home and Away in 2015. 

With over 140 credits to his name, Vincent made many films and television shows in Britain during the 1950s and 60s, with familiar titles such as Z Cars, Ghost Squard, Softly, Softly and Crossroads appearing on his CV before he headed back down under. In his homeland, Vincent has appeared in a host of well-known productions including Muriel's Wedding, Breaker Morant and A Town Like Alice. 

Of the honour, Vincent said:

Ball, awarded an OAM in the Australia Day honours list for service to the performing arts, quipped to the ABC:’I hope that now people know I’m still alive, they may give me a job.”

He said he was “gobsmacked” by the honour.

“I found out in September that I had been nominated and just before Christmas that I had been accepted,” he said.

“I haven’t been able to share the news with anyone but I have been flattered, honoured, humbled and bewildered ever since.

“I have no idea who nominated me but it is always wonderful to have your work recognised.”

Graduating from London’s Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in 1950, Ball said he had been “semiretired” since 1951.


 

It's great to hear that another veteran performer from the early days of Carry On still going strong. Let's hope Vincent Ball continues to act and enjoy life in Australia. You can read the full article here


You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan and also on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment