Wednesday 9 December 2015

Are you looking forward to a Carry On this Christmas?



I don't know about you, but one of the joys of the festive season for me has always been getting my hands on a copy of the Radio Times. I love to plan my Christmas telly viewing the old fashioned way. It just wouldn't be Christmas without it.

Another great tradition for me since I was a child has been to spot when the Carry On films will be shown over the Christmas holidays. For years they were an integral part of the festive television schedules although these days that seems to be rather sadly on the wane. As a child I could pretty much guarantee that the BBC would show at least a handful of Carry Ons as well as several other classic British comedy films of the era over Christmas. They were often shown very late at night but it was great to see them all the same. 

These days Carry Ons are most often shown on satellite channels which seem to change their names every five minutes. I don't really mind where they are broadcast as long as both old and new audiences still get the chance to see them. They are perfect viewing for all the family on a cold, dark December afternoon when everyone is too full of food to do anything but slump in front of the television.

In recent years, Channel Five has shown the Carry On Christmas specials, normally as part of a classic comedy night. Good for them I say. From memory they have shown the two best specials, the 1969 and 1973 episodes. I really hope they show them again this year. These shows deserve a place besides the likes of Morecambe and Wise in the classic television repeats of yesteryear.

It would be great if the BBC or ITV gave over some of their Christmas schedules to the Carry On films. Perhaps a little less reality telly and a little more classic British comedy? Just a gentle suggestion! 




So do you agree? Are the Carry Ons a big part of your festive viewing?

I will be blogging a round up of all the Carry Ons being shown over the Christmas period in due course.


You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan 

No comments:

Post a Comment