Wednesday 7 October 2015

Carry On Fan of the Week: Tom



It's time for another Carry On Fan of the Week. This week, it's over to Tom to hear why he loves Sid James, Joan Sims and why his favourite Carry On film is At Your Convenience!


What was the first Carry On film you ever saw? - It's been so long that I can't actually remember. I do recall Carry On Constable, primarily because my father was a police officer who worked between 1950 and 1979. As we lived for some time in a flat over a police station, I can certainly appreciate some of the characters in the film!  Whether it was the first Carry On I saw, I can't honestly recall.

Who is your favourite Carry On actor and why? - I think that Sid James would have to be the one. For me he is the epitome of a Carry On actor, though he was an excellent performer in many other films also. There were several good actors in the series, but Sid was, at least for me, 'Mr Carry On'. A face full of character and one of the dirtiest laughs of anyone on the planet!


Who is your favourite Carry On actress and why? - That would have to be Joan Sims. As with actor's, there are manyr actresses who were amazingly good  in Carry On roles, but Joan Sims, I feel, was a stalwart. She fitted the roles she played so well. I did think she was somewhat underrated.

Who is your favourite Carry On supporting actor? - I must choose Hattie Jacques, who quite honestly came very close to being my pick for favourite actress! In fact. I'm still torn with my decision. Hattie Jacques was a fine performer. I often thought there were many other Carry On films with roles that would have suited her to play. In Carry On Cabby, I thought that she displayed an amazingly good acting talent given she was in a reasonably low budget comedy.

Have you ever visited any Carry On film locations? - Unfortunately not, as far as I'm aware anyway!



Have you ever met any Carry On actors? - I met Sherrie Hewson in the last few weeks when she opened a local fete! I also came close to meeting Hattie Jacques when she and Eric Sykes were playing at Blackpool many, many, years ago. I was doing some work in the Winter Gardens at the time they were due to appear.

Do you have any Carry On memorabilia? - I have no memorabilia as such, unless you count a Carry On At Your Convenience mug! I do of course have all the DVD's, including 'Columbus'. When I think that I could have had all the posters and foyer paraphernalia for some of these films, (and lots of others), many years ago, I could cry!

Finally, what's your all time favourite Carry On film? - Difficult...very difficult. As I have to choose, then I will say Carry On At Your Convenience. The only reason being that my home town is Wigan...but I don't know of the whereabouts of a YWCA!!




Many thanks once again to Tom for taking part! If you would like to be one of my Carry On Fans of the Week, all you have to do is email your answers in the carryonfan15@gmail.com - I look forward to hearing from you! 


You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan and also Facebook

Clicking on the adverts helps to keep this blog going.

No comments:

Post a Comment