Wednesday 21 October 2015

Carry On Fan of the Week: Jon!


It's time to meet another Carry On Fan of the Week! This week, we hear from a fellow blogger, Jon. Jon tells us why he loves Sid James, Joan Sims, Robin Askwith and why his favourite film in the series is Carry On At Your Convenience! 


What was the first Carry on Film you ever saw?

I think it was Carry on Doctor. It will have been when I was about eight or nine, and BBC Two went through a phase of showing the films in the evening and we had Doctor and Cabby recorded on video for years and years.

Who is your favourite Carry on actor and why?

It's so hard to pick one as I love them all. I've seen them in so many Carry Ons over the years that it's like seeing a group of old friends and it feels wrong to pick one! However,  it has to be Sid. Sid's your dad, Sid's the guv'nor. There's probably nobody with the exception of Kenny who is so synonymous with the films and who has brought so much joy. Honourable mentions also to Kenny Williams and of course, Robin Askwith!!




Who is your favourite Carry on actress and why?

I think overall it has to be Joan Sims. I love how she played the full range of characters over the years, from sexpot to mother in law! I also love her infectious giggle, and she was a very sexy woman - who can forget the smouldering sensuality of Miss Alcock?? Honourable mention to Hattie and Barbara too.

Carry on Supporting Actor?

I think Valerie Leon holds a special place in my heart. She's such a commanding presence and I can't take my eyes off her whenever she's on screen. She's just amazing and I think underused. I particularly love her in Carry on Girls, but it's a shame she's been dubbed.



Film Locations?

Not as far as I know, but if I get the chance to visit Maidstone Town Hall I'll definitely take a picture there!

Met any actors?

No sadly, I'd love to meet Barbara and of course Valerie. And I wish I'd met Joan or written to her to say Thank You.

Favourite Film?

I love all of them, really I do. But it has to be At Your Convenience. My favourite scene is when they're sat in the canteen when the first strike is called. Hearing Joan laugh and crack jokes warms my heart. Plus, I think I love this film as it was full of toilet humour which used to appeal to me when I was younger and had less mature tastes in comedy. Ah who am I kidding? My tastes are still exactly the same!!




Many thanks once again to Jon for taking the time to get in touch and answer these questions. If you would like to be featured as one of my Carry On fans of the week, all you have to do is send your answers to carryonfan15@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

Please do check out Jon's Archers Blog (www.jonsarchersblog.com) which you can also follow on Twitter @JonsArchersBlog  


You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan and also Facebook

Clicking on the adverts helps to keep this blog going.




No comments:

Post a Comment