Tuesday 27 October 2015

Bernie's Hole In The Ground...and other classics


The other evening Bernard Cribbins' novelty record Hole in the Ground popped up in an advert for something or other. At first I knew it was familiar but it came as such a surprise to hear it again it took me a minute to work out what it was! This made me scour the internet for the record and as usual, YouTube didn't let me down!

So for no other reason that a good wallow in nostalgia, here is Bernard's classic record from the early 1960s:



As I'm feeling generous, here is another one of Bernie's classics. The wonderful Right Said Fred:



Did you know that Hole in the Ground was written by none other than Myles Rudge and Ted Dicks? These two were close friends of Joan Sims and also wrote the theme tune for the legendary Carry On Screaming in 1966.



As a slightly bizarre postscript, apparently Noel Coward chose Hole in the Ground as one of his tracks when he appeared on the BBC's Desert Island Discs. Well there you go!



You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan 

Clicking on the adverts helps to keep this blog going.



No comments:

Post a Comment