Wednesday 1 July 2015

Carry On Fan of the Week!


I have started a series of blogs which feature, well, some of you! I love interacting with you all on Twitter and Facebook, so I thought I would give you the chance to share your thoughts on the Carry Ons on the blog itself.

Last week @FutureUrban shared some of her answers with us and now it's time to hear from another follower on Twitter. Many thanks to Martin for taking the time to get in touch!


What was the first Carry On film you ever saw?

I'm not sure which was the first film but I got into them from watching Carry On Laughing - not the TV series with episodes, but the compilation clips programme from the early 1980s(?) which they used to air as fillers in the early evenings. My earliest film memory is Carry On Up The Khyber but not sure if it was the first.


Who is your favourite Carry On actor and why?

Kenneth Williams. He flaring nostrils, his supercilious pomposity, his hyperactive over-anxiety, his lip-licking lechery and above all, that sharp intake of audible breath if he happened upon something naughty - everything was so over the top and it always made me laugh out loud.


Who is your favourite Carry On actress and why?

Joan Sims. I'm not sure I appreciated her brilliance growing up. I preferred the bawdy obviousness of Kenneth Williams. But as you refine your appreciation of acting, I've come to love the nuanced performances she gives.



Who is your favourite Carry On supporting actor?

I need to choose two. Patsy Rowlands and Marianne Stone. You could always feel sorry for Patsy's characters and it was a real hand-clap of delight moment when she got to play saucy in a truly memorable scene in Carry On Loving.

Marianne Stone: her unusual voice I actually found quite mesmerising. One of my favourite lines of any film (apart from Joan Sims' 'My brother - the count), is when Marianne Stone says in Carry On Don't Lose Your Head: "You’re too late; I've just called temps!" If you understand French, the joke is brilliant.


Have you ever visited any Carry On film locations?

Yes - Pinewood Studies several times and went on a location tour of Windsor and Maidenhead on a coach with Jacqui Piper once.



Have you ever met any Carry On actors?

Jacqui Piper, Richard O'Callaghan, Fenella Fielding, Patsy Rowlands, Norman Mitchell, Alexandra Dane and a few others - and of course Peter Rogers and Alan Hume (not actors, but essential people!)


Do you have any Carry On memorabilia?

I used to have a post-production script for That's Carry On, but I sold it a few years back. I had other bits and pieces of general merchandise but they've also gone to new homes.


Finally, what's your all time favourite Carry On film?

If I was forced to name one and one only, it would have to be Carry on Spying. But if I could expand to a top three, I would add Carry On Screaming and Carry On At Your Convenience.




Thank you Martin! You can follow Martin on Twitter @martinallen72


You can follow me on Twitter @CarryOnJoan and also Facebook

Clicking on the adverts helps to keep this blog going.

No comments:

Post a Comment